Fwd: state of GnuCash

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Fri Aug 15 18:18:37 CDT 2003

Subject: state of GnuCash
Date: Friday 15 August 2003 15:19
From: tmb at lumo.com
To: bock at step.polymtl.ca

Have you considered breaking up GnuCash into a set of command line
programs and then tie them together with a GUI for those people that
want a GUI?  I would really like to be able to do financial management
"UNIX-style": use crontab to schedule downloads, use a script to warn
me of missed payments, etc.  I would imagine that all the data exchange
among those programs would happen using XML.

GnuCash right now just seems to be a big, monolithic GUI program
(well, maybe there is some Guile scripting in there somewhere).  I already
have that with Quicken or MS Money, which I, like most people, got "free"
with my computer.  And it's not surprising that development of
a monolithic GUI program grinds to a halt when it has become this
complex.

Breaking up GnuCash into command line programs and a GUI would both
give it new functionality (namely, UNIX-style automation), and it
would make it much easier for new developers to add functionality
(namely, simply by providing new command line programs for things
like downloading, reconciliation, alerts, etc.).

Cheers,
Thomas.