HUGE compling speedup

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Sun Aug 17 14:40:27 CDT 2003

Could someone tell me again why we don't run "msgmerge" on the .po files
in CVSand save the merged files?

On my PIII800 a gazillion minutes of compiling GnuCash is spent running
msgmerge, every friggin' time I recompile.    Most of that time is spent
merging .po files that haven't been updated in forever, whereas recently
updated .po files merge very quickly.

The first thing we tell translators is to merge their .po file with the
most recent gnucash.pot and start from there...  so why can't one of us
simply do this?  I'm not suggesting we do this as a policy, but simply
that we should do it occasionally when compile times start to get out of
control.

That someone could be yours truly... I'll send a patch if people think
it is a good idea.

PS: oh, and I think we should do this only to those files that haven't
been updated in forever... like maybe the last 6 months?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil