Regarding "Call for help"

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Sun Aug 17 18:45:39 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 04:47:49PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at math.umd.edu> writes:
>
> > If this is a stupid idea, please don't yell at me.  But would it help if
> > GnuCash was written in a high-level language like Python or Ruby?
>
> To what affect?  You would have to re-write several dozen man-years of
> work.  Had python existed 10 years ago the decisions might have been
> different, but it did not exist then.

Well, the idea was to attract developers who would not be willing to
tackle Scheme but might be willing to use something else.

Here's another thought.  If it's possible to allow plugins in Python/Ruby
that might attract developers who can extend functionality which would
free the present developers to fix the existing problems with the current
code-base.  Then again, this might be more trouble than it's worth.  It's
just a thought.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD.  PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
  .-"~~~"-.   On the menu of a Swiss restaurant: