Regarding "Call for help"

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 17 19:18:53 CDT 2003

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at math.umd.edu> writes:

> Well, the idea was to attract developers who would not be willing to
> tackle Scheme but might be willing to use something else.

If you know python or ruby or perl then you can learn scheme.
Not being _willing_ to learn scheme is a different issue, and
has nothing to do with simplicity.

> Here's another thought.  If it's possible to allow plugins in Python/Ruby
> that might attract developers who can extend functionality which would
> free the present developers to fix the existing problems with the current
> code-base.  Then again, this might be more trouble than it's worth.  It's
> just a thought.

It's more trouble than it's worth -- maintaining the scheme bindings
are hard enough.  Now you want us to maintain bindings to how many
other languages?

Again, I ask "to what affect?"  What is the cost/benefit ratio of all
this additional work?  If someone else wants to create those bindings
and is willing to maintain them, great.  But gnucash already has a
dependency hell -- adding more isn't something that users would like.