HUGE compling speedup

Eneko Lacunza listas at enlar.net
Mon Aug 18 01:45:36 CDT 2003

Hi,

El dom, 17 de 08 de 2003 a las 23:28, Jon Lapham escribió:
> >>Could someone tell me again why we don't run "msgmerge" on the .po files
> >>in CVSand save the merged files?
> > Because the .po files are the sole responsibility of the translators. *They*
> > should run "msgmerge" every once in a while. We shouldn't.

	I think that there shouldn't be any msgmerge in gnucash compilation
time. That work must be done beforehand, by translators or developers.
(maybe independent "make pot" should extract strings and "make
update-po-files" merge pot and po's).

	Gettext works right both with up-to-date-merged-po generated .mo and
not-merged-unupdated-po generated .mo files.

	So what's the point merging po files in compilation time? Just compile
existing .po files and go ahead! :)

	Checking translation completioness should be 2-3 commands ahead, and it
is not done as usually as test-compilations, so I think saving 40
minutes of a developer time for each compilation does pay by far! :)

Just my 1¢

--
Eneko Lacunza <listas at enlar.net>