HUGE compling speedup

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Aug 18 10:54:49 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham schrieb:
>>> Could someone tell me again why we don't run "msgmerge" on the .po files
>>> in CVSand save the merged files?
>>
>> Because the .po files are the sole responsibility of the translators.
>> *They* should run "msgmerge" every once in a while. We shouldn't.
>
> Well, I agree with you in theory, but, in practice we are getting
> hammered out here in the real world.  When I compile, I issue a "make"
> followed by a "make install".  This runs msgmerge twice on every file,
> for a total of almost 40 minutes of wall time in total (see below). This
> is not counting the po->gmo conversion, this is just msgmerge.

Urgh. I totally see your problem here. As somebody else already pointed
out, the real problem here is that msgmerge is called at compile time at
all. msgmerge should not be called by 'make all'. But unfortunately the
po/Makefile.in.in is generated by intltool and not by us. So we cannot
turn this off. I *thought* maybe some more intelligent intltool versions
would be able to switch this off again, but apparently this is not the

Well, yes, then we should probably run msgmerge on our own and commit
the updated po file to CVS. But again I want to point out that this
blurs the responsibility of the coders (us) and the translators, and we
do this solely because this stupid intltool versions doesn't give us any
other choice.

Christian