mobile gnucash

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Aug 18 02:05:06 CDT 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 21:17, James Basilio wrote:
> I think Benoit's idea about using QIF is probably my
> best option after thinking about it some more.  The
> advantage is that in theory any financial app could be
> be used on the other end (that accepts QIF obviously).

Well, the problem with QIF is that there is no unique transaction identifier,
so you'll need really good duplicate matching on the client end.  OFX would
work much better in this area.

> My next questions in thinking about the problem:
>
> - is there a way to import QIF data through GnuCash
> automatically with a command line argument?  this way,
> assuming a sync just places a file in a location,
> GnuCash could import this automatically upon startup
> and dispose of the file if the user requests it
> - if QIF doesn't specify a correct account etc, does
> GnuCash prompt the user for locations of ambiguous
> transactions?  i can test this myself so you can also
> just not answer this and i'll figure it out
> eventually.

No, as QIF import is NEVER totally unambiguous, mostly for the reason stated
above.
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/