[docs] Reports

tripp+gnucash-devel at perspex.com tripp+gnucash-devel at perspex.com
Mon Aug 18 03:16:28 CDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Jon Lapham wrote:

> Should each chapter have a "reports" section discussing reports germane
> to that particular subject?  Or, should all the report info be
> centralized in the reports chapter?
>
> Either way we would still need a reports chapter, for introducing
> reports, and general explanations of how to customize them, etc.

Both. Each "accounting theory" chapter should have descriptions of the
reports relevant to that chapter's subject matter, how to read the reports
in the context of the subject matter, etc.

Then, as you describe below, the general "reports" chapter would describe
the mechanism of reports as implemented in GnuCash. How to set options,
how to print/save reports, etc.

I see developing reports (including customization through code) as its own
guide, though :) . That is to say that I don't think "users" should be
faced too much with those sorts of details. A pointer to the "GnuCash
Report Developer's Guide" should suffice. (and, yes, the GCRDG should
itself be separate from any core source developer's guide that might be or
yet be, since it "feels" like there's a difference between someone who
would be willing to crack open the RDG and write some Scheme vs. someone
who will be willing to dig into GTK, KVPs, etc. to do real hard-core
hacking.

For what it's worth, anyway :)

- t.