The financial contribution issue

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Aug 19 16:54:10 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 02:27, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 22:54, Benoit Grégoire wrote:
> > We would need a paypal tip jar very soon.  Linas can you set one quickly
> > with a @gnucash,org address?
>
> This is the only part of your email I disagree with, I've stated this
> before but here goes... I really don't like the idea of using paypal to
> collect/keep any monies for the project, I have seen examples (the
> abiword project being the most recent) of bad things happening where
> projects loose money given to them because of paypal policies. I would
> be willing to compromise on monies passing thru it to facilitate
> donations but there being sufficient care taken to remove the money from
> paypal taking it out of an account.

Well I wasn't advocating keeping the money inside the paypal account
indefinitely.  Whoever manages this would be expected to empty it on a
regular basis, and keep the money in a normal bank account.  As for Abiword,
there is little detail on exactly how it happened, but it sounds as if
someone simply figured out their password.  And they WERE reimbursed by
Paypal:  http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/02/Oct/0462.html.

Anyhow, I really don't care what service we use to collect donations.  We
probably need two actually:

One mostly for North America that can accept donations by credit card, as it
is the most popular mean of electronic transfer here.  Paypal is well know
and widely used.  If there is a better one, perfect, let's go with that.

One mostly for Europe, where bank wire transfer are both inexpensive and
widely used, someone should set up a bank account to collect donations.  If
Christian set's it up and people can donate directly from GnuCash in Germany,
it's just icing on the cake.  (Not to mention the most directly usefull
feature demo ever designed.)

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/