The financial contribution issue

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Sun Aug 24 22:10:28 CDT 2003

> The last problem was with the name on the account.  I'd like the
> bank to put the account under the name of 'the GnuCash Foundation'
> however that requires 'the GnuCash Foundation' to be incorporated.
> Which means doing US taxes annually.  And local franchise taxes.
> And property taxes. And other filings.

Well, I'm from Canada, I don't know how many hoops you have to jump through in
the US.

> I was gonna incorporate in January but then never got around to
> it ....  and if there is a formal organization called the 'GnuCash
> Foundation', then there's the question: who are the officers?
> How are they elected/appointed?  Who gets to handle the money,
> who makes it fair?

Assuming I am not confusing the terminology, Here is a relatively simple
system we could use.

The foundation would have as few officers as we can legally get by with.
Maybe only one:  you.  Basically, we need one person in the US who can sign
the paperworks, and one person in the US, as well as one in europe who is
granted the power to sign checks and make financial transaction on behalf of
the corporation.

The board would be small, maybe 5 members?  As for voters, the most logical
way would be to give to everyone in the AUTHORS file a vote (we'd have to
make sure the AUTHORS file is updated to include doc ans web site writers,
translators and other important contributors).  When a seat on the board has
to be filled, anyone can present themselves by writing an email on
gnucash-devel (even if they are not a voter).

Then a simple double email system would work for the vote.  I believe there
are such services freely available on the net.
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/