The financial contribution issue

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Aug 19 14:22:20 CDT 2003

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Thanks for writing this up.

Benoit Grégoire schrieb:
> 1)Small donation go to a tip jar to pay for unavoidable expenses of the
> project, and for projects agreed upon by consensus.
> 2)Sizeable donations go to specific developers to help fullfill feature
> requests.
> 3)Thanking developers for past work will not be done through the project.

Absolutely agreed.

If someone can think of a more "donation-encouraging" wording? I'm not
english-native... In the current wording, the third point almost reads
as if we harshly deprecate any thanking for past work, which I guess was
not intended. I for one would certainly encourage donators to give gifts
for past work, but I absolutely agree the easiest way is having the
donator contacting the developer of choice directly and privately (and
thus not through the project).

> 1) Small donations
> Small contributions will go towards a common fund.  Money from that fund will
> go towards either:
> *Projects of general interest to most developers, and from which most
> developer can benefit.   The first such project will be paying for transport
> to make a sizeable developer meeting to be help in Boston possible.

by the way I also agree to this idea of a developer meeting, although
I'm probably not going to attend :-)

> *Certain types of expenses incurred by a contributor, Only unavoidable
> expenses such as domain name renewals will be considered.

and such as paying the bandwidth for the gnucash.org server :-)

> We would need a paypal tip jar very soon.  Linas can you set one quickly with
> a @gnucash,org address?

This would need to be discussed between the U.S. developers, as we
cannot judge the issues around paypal from outside US.

If there are requests from inside Germany to donate on a German bank
account by online transfer (i.e. the common way of transferring money
inside Germany), I can easily set up a specific bank account for a
Gnucash-de tip jar. As this requires a monthly fee of EUR 4,00, I won't
do it for now, but if people ask then it could be done.

On a side note, in Germany I could even add a "Click here to donate
through HBCI" menu item to gnucash, where the donator would only need to
fill in the value, enter his/her online PIN and *poof* the money goes to
our account. Although care has to be taken so that nobody perceives such
an opportunity as intrusive in some way.

Christian