Non-Latin1 characters in XML data file and in reports

Andrey Brindeew abr at altlinux.ru
Wed Aug 27 12:21:11 CDT 2003

Hi!

Few questions to lead developers:

1. How about i18n in gnucash?
   Currently XML data file has no `encoding' attribute in <?xml?> clause
   and this means UTF-8 encoding. But non-latin1 (eight-bit in
   single-byte charset) characters are stored as '&#code;' where 'code'
   is character's code from local user locale, not from UTF-8!
   This is absolutely BAD WAY.

2. How about  moving to Gnome2?
   Most leading Linux distributors (such as RH, Suse, Mandrake, etc) don't
   want to keep old G1 libraries in their distributions for a long time
   anymore.
   Moving to G2 will help gnucash to improve i18n (<aen AT altlinux.org>
   says so).

I was just seeking archives and googling and found a message from this
list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@lists.gnucash.org/msg01646.html

Who can tell me - how much code needs to be patched for proper i18n
(storing non-Latin1 characters in XML using right way and proper
displaying it in reports)?

--
WBR, Andrey Brindeew.
"No one person can understand Perl culture completely"