Scheduled invoices

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Dec 17 00:17:11 CST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:26:55AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> writes:

>> I wish GnuCash had support for scheduled invoices.

>> This wish is already in bug #114421, which is assigned to Derek
>> Atkins.

> All bugs are assigned to somebody, whether or not they are actively
> working on it.  I am not actively working on it at this moment, nor
> is it near the top of my list

> Also, once you have the ability to copy an invoice we would need to
> somehow hook into the Scheduled Transactions -- OR we'd need our own
> scheduler.  I don't know which will be easier to implement as I've
> never really looked at the SX code.

I would think that in principle having two schedulers in one program
is wasteful and less maintainable than having one. My natural
inclination would be to "generalise" the existing scheduler if
necessary. I'll see when I'll get down to it.

>>  - decisions already made on how it should (not) be done, or a rough
>>    outline of what has to be done

> Unfortunately we have not gotten this far, yet.

That's OK, I just wanted to get the information that is already
there. If there is more to discover, it's more fun, I guess.

> With the "copy invoice" you don't need any additional data storage.

Well, I need to store the information "every 5th of the month, bill
this customer that much, itemised like that". I'll see how this
information is stored for scheduled transactions and go on from
there.

> Unfortunately you can't just make the SX engine call a "make
> invoice" function

> first, it would introduce a dependency loop in the code,

? I guess I'll understand this remark when I'll look at the details.

> and second we're trying to keep the engine completely free of
> business code.

I see.

--
Lionel