DRAFT: Press notes 1.8

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Sat Feb 1 22:01:17 CST 2003

On Saturday 01 February 2003 8:11 pm, someone claiming to be Christian
Stimming wrote:
> Gee. I haven't practiced my written English in a long time now. These press
> notes/ announcement is a rough translation from my German version. The
> German version will focus much more on the HBCI stuff which isn't really
> applicable to any other place in the world except Germany, so the German
> press notes will definitely be different from the English ones.
>
> This proposal is meant to stimulate some people into writing something much
> better. I wanted to show how press notes might look like (i.e. several
> paragraphs of text in a row) as well as how a personal quote might be
> included -- please anybody feel free to suggest something better, and also
> somebody else might insert his/her quote there. Comments are absolutetly
> invited and welcome.

Looks good to me, I added a couple suggestions below, but I imagine someone
else may have better input...

> *** DRAFT ***
>
> February xx, 2003 (The INTERNET) The GnuCash Development Team
> <http://www.gnucash.org> proudly announces the release of GnuCash 1.8,
> the GNU personal finance manager.
>
> GnuCash features a full account hierarchy manager, a checkbook-like
> register GUI to enter transactions, and an exhaustive set of reports
> to visualize the state of your finances. New features in this release
> include scheduled transactions, small business features, OFX import
> and HBCI (the German online banking system) support.  The user
> interface is designed to be simple and easy to use, but it is backed
> with double-entry accounting principles to ensure balanced books.
>
> "You don't need Windows any longer.  GnuCash comes with all finance
> manager features I need, and in Germany I even can manage all my
> online banking tasks through GnuCash, " says Christian Stimming of the
> developer team. "Even better: In GnuCash I have the first HBCI
> software that can really be checked for potential back doors, since
> its GPL license gives me true access to the source code."
>
> With respect to OFX import, GnuCash is the first free software
> application to support the Open Financial Exchange protocol that many
> banks and financial services are moving to use. The development of OFX
> and HBCI support has also resulted in an improved transaction matching
> and completion system during transaction import.
>
> In Small Business Accounting, GnuCash now can be used for Customer and
> Vendor tracking, Invoicing and Bill Payment, and using different Tax
> and Billing Terms in a small business.
>
> For new users, an account hierarchy creation druid helps to get
> started.

An account heirarchy creation druid helps new users get started.

> Existing financial data from e.g. Quicken or MS Money can
> easily be imported by the QIF importer.  A brand new user help
> has been written which focuses on how to do tasks in conjunction with
> a Tutorial and Concepts guide that gives the user background
> information on using GnuCash.

Brand new help documentation, in conjunction with a Tutorial and Concepts
guide, has been written which focuses on how to do tasks that gives the new
user background information on using GnuCash.

> GnuCash is available for free under the GNU General Public License
> (GPL) from the GnuCash server <http://www.gnucash.org> and its
> mirrors. Thanks go to all the translators, testers, and bug reporters
> who made this release possible.
>

> Downloading and Compiling GnuCash
>
> The source packages for GnuCash are available for free download at
> http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash . GnuCash 1.8 requires the Gnome
> 1.4 platform, Guppi, guile, slib, and g-wrap. If you are upgrading
> from GnuCash 1.6, you should be done by upgrading g-wrap to 1.3.4.

If you are upgrading from GnuCash 1.6, all that should be required is an
upgrade of g-wrap to 1.3.4.

> ...The detailed requirements can be found at
> <http://www.gnucash.org/en/required.phtml>.
>
> Contact

Tim

--
RedHat Psyche 8.0, stock kernel, KDE 3.1.CVS, Xfree86 4.2.1
  9:00pm  up 2 days, 23:30,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00