Import transactions change proposal

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Feb 3 21:57:21 CST 2003

On February 3, 2003 01:19 pm, Chris Morgan wrote:
> From prior discussions about importing many hundreds or thousands of
> records I've started making some changes to the import transaction matcher.
>  I wanted to run through the proposal so as to pull out any necessary
> changes BEFORE the work is complete.
>
> - Change clist in the generic import transaction matcher screen to an
> extended clist to allow for multiple transactions to be selected
> - Drop support for row select/unselect signals in the clist
> - Add support for double click events in clist

How are you going to visually cue the user that he must double click?  It's
clear to everyone how to use the two checkboxes, but I know of no clear icon
to tell the user to double click.  What are you going to replace the
select-unselect signals with?  I guess I just don't understand your new
interface yet. But let's keep discussing it, I don't mean to discurage you...

> - Modification of run_account_picker_dialog() to accept a list of
> transactions instead of a single one.

Err, I suppose you mean gnc_gen_trans_list_add_trans()?

> This idea could be extended to a search and match function that would allow
> the user to enter an arbitrary string and pick a column and highlight all
> entries containing the search string.  It may also assist witht he auto
> matching code as groups of transactions could be processed as a whole.

Well, the way I tought I was going to solve this problem was mostly in the
backend.  Each time someone changes a destination account, the matcher would
call gnc_import_TransInfo_set_destacc(), a new function,
gnc_import_reprocess_dest_matches(), that would re-run the destination
account match algorithm for each transaction that doesn't have
dest_acc_selected_manually set to true.

That way, if I change a transaction labeled "Buy/Taco Bell" to
Expenses:Restaurant, every other transaction labeled "Buy/Taco Bell" that
weren't priorly set to something else would immediately point to
Expenses:Restaurant.

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/