Import transactions change proposal

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 4 13:29:48 CST 2003

Chris Morgan <chrismorgan at rcn.com> writes:

> Of course, to recap the prior thread and the start of this one
> the goal is to be able to move multiple transactions into an
> account with a single move either based on clicking or a
> keyword search.

Ok: show of hands..  How many people really think they need this
feature?  I don't think I'd use it/want it.  I would CERTAINLY use the
"re-run the automatcher at every change" features.

I admit the importer still needs some work, but I'm not convinced that
we need to deal with multiple transactions at once.  For one thing,
the rest of the code doesn't deal with it, yet, either.  If you want
to handle multiple transactions, may I suggest you get the register to
handle operations on multiple transactions?

> I'd rather not force the auto sorter on anyone, giving them a
> choice between manual and automatic seems like a good decision.

The auto-sorter is already "forced" on everyone.  The only problem is
that it's not iterative within an import process.  Try splitting up
your OFX import into a number of smaller imports and you'll see what I
mean.  Similar transactions in "future" imports are all handled
automagically.

Also, as Benoit has said, there are a number of choices to be made on
a per-transaction basis.  I don't know how you plan to support on that.

May I recomend that you first work on the iterative account-matching
and then, after that's done, you look at other multiple selection
processing?  I think you'll find that the iterative processing will
remove a vast majority of issues you have with the importer.  So, why
don't you do that first and then we'll see.  Might as well spend your
time on something that everyone agrees needs to be implemented, no?