Import transactions change proposal

Chris Morgan chrismorgan at rcn.com
Tue Feb 4 13:18:15 CST 2003

---- Original message ----
gnucash-devel at lists.gnucash.org

>Chris Morgan <chrismorgan at rcn.com> writes:
>
>> That I'm not sure about.  Someone else on the list must have
>> an idea that will solve this.  I do think that allowing
>> multiple selections in the clist makes sense, that requires
>> handling double clicks instead of single clicks although it is
>> possible that we could handle single clicks on certain rows if
>> this is reasonable behavior.
>
>I'm not at all convinced that handling multiple transactions
at once
>is more important than re-trying matches.  I think that if
you solve
>the "setting one destination account also changes the other
matching
>transaction" will go a LONG way towards solving the major
problem with
>the importer.
>
>Exactly what problem do you think you are solving by all this
single
>v. double clicking and multiple selections?  Even after
re-reading all
>these mails, I'm still not clear what problem you think
you're trying
>to solve by adding this "feature".
>
>In all good software engineering you need to start with the
>requirements and problem statement -- don't start with a
solution and
>see what you can do with it.  Can you clearly state what
problem(s)
>you have with the importer before discussing methods to
improve it?

Of course, to recap the prior thread and the start of this one
the goal is to be able to move multiple transactions into an
account with a single move either based on clicking or a
keyword search.

I'd rather not force the auto sorter on anyone, giving them a
choice between manual and automatic seems like a good decision.

Chris