running in the source tree

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 5 13:32:28 CST 2003

Andrew Pimlott <gnucash-devel at andrew.pimlott.net> writes:

> Is it correct that nobody cares much about running gnucash in the
> source tree?  I tried doing this and encountered several obvious
> errors.  Here's what I had to do to make it start (I haven't tested
> much, but it seems to be working):

No, it's not correct that nobody cares.  It is correct that nobody
really tests it. ;)

> - I needed to add
>
>     --gnc-module-dir ${top_builddir}/src/business/business-utils \
>
>   to src/bin/overrides/gnucash-build-env.in .  Without this, it

Fixed in CVS.

> - I needed to create a symlink
>
>     ln . gnucash
>
>   in src/bin/business/business-utils .  Without this, it exited with

Oh, right.. Forgot about this.  Fixed in CVS.

> - finance-quote-check was not found, because it is not in
>   GNC_SHARE_PATH.  I added \"${top_srcdir}/src/quotes\" to
>   GNC_SHARE_PATH in src/bin/overrides/gnucash-build-env.in .

Also fixed.

> Also, the failure to find finance-quote-check caused gnucash to
> crash.  See if you can figure out why.  :-)  I thought I could fix
> this by replacing (exit 1) with (primitive-exit 1) in
> src/scm/process.scm, but that didn't work, because it still calls
> the C function exit(3) rather than _exit(2).  I'm mailing the guile
> authors about that.

Yes, we determined this on Sunday, but defined not to do anything about
it at the time.

> It seems the easiest workaround would be to bail out before calling
> gnc:run-sub-process in src/scm/price-quotes.scm if
> gnc:*finance-quote-helper* is #f.

I'm not sure how easy this would be..  It might just be easier to add
the test in gnc:run-sub-process to make sure it's caught everywhere,
not just in this one particular case.  I'll take a look at some point.