console interface

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Tue Feb 11 20:54:48 CST 2003

I would say that as we're porting to gnome2 (planned) and that it has
recently been awarded the 2002 Helen Keller Achievement Award by the
American Foundation for the Blind that would be the best way of
advancing an interface for blind users.

Chris

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 07:27, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Yes, it is _POSSIBLE_ to write an ncurses interface, but...
>
>   a) it has not been done,
>   b) it would be a lot of work, and
>   c) there probably is not a lot of interest by developers to write it.
>
> I think that (b) is probably the largest deterrent.
>
> -derek
>
> PS: Patches for an ncurses interface would certainly be accepted ;)
>
> "E. Oltmanns" <oltmanns at uni-bonn.de> writes:
>
> > Hello altogether,
> >
> > first of all I'd like to beg your pardon if this isn't the place to
> > answer questions like mine. Please tell me the right address in that
> > case.
> >
> > A few weeks ago I searched in the inter net for home banking software
> > for linux. Thats how I got interested in GnuCash and especially in its
> > HBCI facilities. Unfortunately it turned out soon that GnuCash in its
> > current state is unusable for me because its a gnome based
> > application. I'm blind and therefore unable to use applications
> > running under the x-system. So my question is (you guessed it!)
> > whether it might be possible to write a console interface to GnuCash,
> > for example using ncurses or something similar. It might be most obvious
> > that I have hardly an idea about the problems related to such a
> > project. Perhaps you can think about the suggestion or explain the
> > reason why it should be impossible to realize a console solution.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > E. Oltmanns
>
> --

RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |   |^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop