accounting for stock trades

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
02 Jan 2003 22:28:33 -0500

Read my text: IMHO there IS NO SPLIT THAT REPRESENTS THE GAIN/LOSS.
The gain/loss is COMPUTED, based on the DIFFERENCE between purchases
and sales of a commodity LOT.  The lot is balanced when the number of
shares hit zero.  The gain/loss is the sum of the VALUES of all the
splits.

For example, if a lot contains the following three splits:

Amount(Shares)  Value
 50             500
-20             -400
-30             -150

You will notice two things.
1) this lot is "closed" (it has an amount balance of zero)
2) you can compute the loss(gain) as the sum of the values: 500-400-150 = 50 gain

You don't need a "balancing" split -- there is nothing to balance.
And no, I do NOT believe that you should have a single, unbalanced
split to denote losses or gains.

-derek