help

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield@acm.org
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:29:21 -0600

On January 5, 2003 10:35 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> What about "Equity:Opening Balances"?  I've left it out for now, but it
> might cause some problems for opening balances... ;)  We can always add
> it later.

I think it ought to be there, since beginners will likely need it as they grow
in experience and ambition, but ... it always struck me as an implementation
detail of accounting, boilerplate that has to be set up once and mostly
ignored, like the "program" statement at the top of a Pascal program.
   What if the default view that GnuCash presents to beginners were a report
that suppresses "unimportant" accounts like Opening Balances, instead of the
full account tree?