help

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
05 Jan 2003 23:35:26 -0500

Glen Ditchfield <gjditchfield@acm.org> writes:

> On January 5, 2003 11:48 am, David Hampton wrote:
> > How about just enabling the "Common Accounts" by default?  Its a simple
> > enough setup, and doesn't have the problem of any conflicts if the user
> > wants to enable more sets of accounts.  Perhaps a stripped down version
> > of the common accounts that has:
> >
> > 	Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account
> > 	Income
> > 	Expenses
>
> The stripped-down version looks good to me.  Give it an account type like
> "Just a checking account", a description like "The minimal set of accounts
> needed to use GnuCash", and a detailed description like "Use this if you just
> want to balance your checkbook.  Later on, you can start tracking income and
> expenses in more detail if you feel the need."

What about "Equity:Opening Balances"?  I've left it out for now, but it
might cause some problems for opening balances... ;)  We can always add
it later.

> I wouldn't want "Common Accounts" selected by default.  When I started using
> GnuCash, I just wanted to balance my checkbook, and if I'd seen that long
> list, I'd have said "I'm supposed to track all that!!?", and run screaming
> back to my homebrew spreadsheet.

I'm not convinced, but I could be convinced, that defaulting to
"nothing" is better than defaulting to the Common Accounts.  But I've
turned that off for now.  It's easy to turn it on later.