help

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield@acm.org
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:26:09 -0600

On January 5, 2003 11:48 am, David Hampton wrote:
> How about just enabling the "Common Accounts" by default?  Its a simple
> enough setup, and doesn't have the problem of any conflicts if the user
> wants to enable more sets of accounts.  Perhaps a stripped down version
> of the common accounts that has:
>
> 	Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account
> 	Income
> 	Expenses

The stripped-down version looks good to me.  Give it an account type like
"Just a checking account", a description like "The minimal set of accounts
needed to use GnuCash", and a detailed description like "Use this if you just
want to balance your checkbook.  Later on, you can start tracking income and
expenses in more detail if you feel the need."

I wouldn't want "Common Accounts" selected by default.  When I started using
GnuCash, I just wanted to balance my checkbook, and if I'd seen that long
list, I'd have said "I'm supposed to track all that!!?", and run screaming
back to my homebrew spreadsheet.