New feature

Felipe "No Spam Please" Leme 57tx5wxgp001@sneakemail.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:48:25 -0200

Hi all,

I'm an "old-time" gnucash user, and I have a sugestion for a new feature
(I don't know if such feature already exists in another financial
software - I just use gnucash - neither if it was already suggested here
- sorry if it did, but I'm in a dial-up conection now, so I couldn't
expend too much time searching for it).

The feature I'm talking about would be a checkpoint for accounts. It
would be some sort of entry in the account that would freeze the account
between that point and the previous checkpoint (or the beggining of the
account), in the sense that you couldn't modify the transactions in that
period to change the account's balance (you could change the
description, transfer and num fields, for instance, or even the date -
if the new date is still in the period).

That would be very useful, for instance, in cases where you accidentaly
enter a new transaction in a wrong date (which is quite common in the
end of the year, when sometimes you enter a transaction in january of
that year, instead of the next year). Once you did such a mistake and
didn't realize it, it's pretty hard to "debug" how your account does not
match the real world account (from a bank printed statement or internet
access, for instance). With the checkpoints, that such mistakes would
not be possible, and your account would always be consistent.

Does it makes sense? Would it be hard to implement (I'm a developer,
maybe I could even implement it if there is an interest on the feature)?

Regards (and thanks for the good software :),

Felipe

PS: I'm not subscribed in the list (due to the dial-up problem :), so
please include my e-mail address in an eventual reply