Transaction balancing

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Wed Jan 22 00:11:17 CST 2003

On January 21, 2003 06:54 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> That wasn't what I meant.  I meant should it partial-match on the
> beginning or end of the string?  For example, if I have an imported
> memo of "--ONLINE PAYMENT -- VANGAURD 012384564", I probably want to
> match on the first three 'words', but how does the system know this?
>
> There is currently no interface for the user to tell the system what
> substring to match on.  Perhaps I know I want to match the WHOLE
> string.  Perhaps I want to match only part of it.  Right now there is
> no way to let the user make the distinction.

Actually "At the end is the only way case that was brought to my attention.
My quick and dirty fix was that if the importer can't match the whole string,
it will try to match the first 50% of the string.  If successfull, the match
confidence will be increased but not as much as a full match.

I guess the proper algorithm would be:

If no full match AND word count > 1
	If all but last word matches
		increase confidence

This should cover all cases.  But this is still duplicate matching, we need
the same system for Auto-Balance accound finding, which is still completely
broken if there is a random number at the end of the description.

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/