Transaction balancing

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 22 02:52:15 CST 2003

Chris Morgan <cmorgan@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> What happens if I import a years worth of transactions for credit
> card/savings/checking one right after the other.  They are all interdependent
> on each other for transactions, except for the credit card of course that may
> go into other accounts.  How should I handle that?  How does msmoney handle
> it?

This is Case #2.  The OFX importer will (help) detect the
interdependencies and you mark those that it doesn't detect as
duplicates.  The key is that splits are marked as 'cleared' when you
do the import (because they have cleared the bank).  This works
just fine (at least for OFX).

I have no clue how M$Money does it...