Transaction balancing

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Wed Jan 22 03:25:05 CST 2003

On January 21, 2003 03:43 pm, Chris Morgan wrote:
> What happens if I import a years worth of transactions for credit
> card/savings/checking one right after the other.  They are all
> interdependent on each other for transactions, except for the credit card
> of course that may go into other accounts.  How should I handle that?  How
> does msmoney handle it?

Let's assume you import Credit Card/Savings/Checking in that order (3
different imports), and your accounts start empty:

You will first have all new trans in Credit Card, some of which going into
checking.  You then import Savings, which will also have misc trans, and
presumably some going into Checking.  You then import Checking.  The matcher
will then duplicate transactions in checking (Those who have a split in
Credit Card and Savings), and will only clear the split in Checking for
those.  The other transactions in savings will be imported as new.

What most people don't understand is that the are two different types of
matches that can be done by the importer on a single transaction.  The first
kind of match will determine if a duplicate of this transaction exists in
GnuCash.  If that match determines that there isn't (or if the user
overrides), a second match will be done to try and find the appropriate
account if the transactions isn't already balanced.

Hopefully this is a little clearer.
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/