OFX import and account selection with chars

Laurent Jacques ljacques at fyma.ucl.ac.be
Sat Jan 25 20:43:25 CST 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 18:48, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I disagree.  When you are importing a TXN you necessarily know the
> "source account" for the transaction -- the only question is the
> destination account.  I think using a register is overkill.

Perhaps. Personnally, in gnucash, my main bank account is splitted into
subaccount in which I can see if I have spend all the money that I though to
use one month. This is why, when I import OFX transaction from my bank, I
want to say which of these virtual subaccounts is the source of the
transaction. The destination is then either an income or outcome subaccount.

> > In this case, you could also select different source and destination
> > (sub)accounts for each OFX transaction which is not possible currently.
>
> Why would you want to select a different source account?

I'm explaining that above.

> I admit that
> the importer does not deal with split transactions, but IMHO you
> should pre-enter those transactions by hand and use the importer to
> mark that transaction as "cleared".

I didn't know this way of doing. I planned to use OFX as main source of data
to complete my financial data and not to check them.
Perhaps it is wrong.

> IMHO, the importers are there to:
>         1) move transactions from another financial app into GnuCash (e.g.
>            changing from Quicken to GnuCash), or
>
>         2) reconcile your accounts with an online source.

So my way of doing is not good. Sorry.

> IMHO, importers are not really meant for TRUE accounting using the
> online source as the primary...  Your bank does not know what you
> bought from KMart -- it only knows that you paid KMart $55.24.
> Accounting, however, is generally by type-of-purchase, not
> location-of-purchase.  I would be very surprised if your bank had that
> information in your downloaded txns.

Of course. This is why I wanted to change source and destination account of
each OFX transaction before clicking the "OK" button of the import window.

Thanks for your explanations,
Laurent.