OFX import and account selection with chars

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 25 12:48:46 CST 2003

Laurent Jacques <ljacques at fyma.ucl.ac.be> writes:

> On Saturday 25 January 2003 15:14, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > A decent suggestion -- there should be a bugzilla RFE on this (hint hint)
> >
> > You might want to reference my comment in bug #102787, which is
> > somewhat related.  Namely, we need a SubClass of GtkCombo that does
> > autocompletion.  Then we could use it in a bunch of places where
> > want/need it.
>
> I have seen that bug.
>
> In fact, to precise my opinion, the "Generic import transaction matcher"
> window would have to be the same (or nearly) than the "General Ledger" window
> for which autocompletion is working already.

I disagree.  When you are importing a TXN you necessarily know the
"source account" for the transaction -- the only question is the
destination account.  I think using a register is overkill.

> In this case, you could also select different source and destination
> (sub)accounts for each OFX transaction which is not possible currently.

Why would you want to select a different source account?  I admit that
the importer does not deal with split transactions, but IMHO you
should pre-enter those transactions by hand and use the importer to
mark that transaction as "cleared".

IMHO, the importers are there to:
        1) move transactions from another financial app into GnuCash (e.g.
           changing from Quicken to GnuCash), or

        2) reconcile your accounts with an online source.

IMHO, importers are not really meant for TRUE accounting using the
online source as the primary...  Your bank does not know what you
bought from KMart -- it only knows that you paid KMart $55.24.
Accounting, however, is generally by type-of-purchase, not
location-of-purchase.  I would be very surprised if your bank had that
information in your downloaded txns.