Gnucash 1.7.8 and guile 1.6.1

Stan stsander at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 26 22:03:26 CST 2003

I ran into an error message trying to run gnucash 1.7.8 after upgrading
to guile 1.6.1.  I don't really expect any answers to this post, but I
wanted to at least get it in front of a few folks in case it's a problem
with gnucash, although there is a fair chance I just screwed things up.
    Here are the pertinent highlights:

I have what was originally a Suse 7.1 system.  Although I have hacked on
it so much, it probably doesn't resemble Suse 7.1 much anymore.  (I
prefer to download source and compile it over using rpm's)  I have glibc
2.2.4 and gcc 2.95.2.  When I decided to give gnucash a try, I wanted
some of the features that were in the development versions but not in
1.6.x.  Hey, I'm willing to bleed on the edge a little and not cry about
it.  So, after enduring the "nightmare" to quote the website and taking
a path that resembles that of a rabbit running through brush to get the
"beast" and all of it's gnome-related dependencies compiled, I had a
working gnucash 1.7.7, and was quite happy with it.  ( no functional
help system, though, but I'll worry about that later)  Prior to this, I
had almost no gnome stuff on my machine.  I did, however, have to set
the environment variable LDFLAGS to `pkg-config --libs gtkhtml-1.1`
(which equates to
-rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtkhtml-1.1 -lgal
-lgnomeprint -lglade-gnome -lglade -lxml -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl
-lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgnome -lgnomesupport -laudiofile -ldb1
-lgdk_pixbuf -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lgnomecanvaspixbuf -lgconf-gtk-1
-lgconf-1 -loaf -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lgtk -lgdk
-lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm
in my case)
in order to get configure to not bomb out with

checking for gtkhtml < 1.1... Unknown library `gtkhtml'
Unknown library `gtkhtml'
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for gtkhtml >= 1.1... checking for gtk_html_new in
-lgtkhtml-1.1... yes
checking for ghttp_request_new in -lghttp... yes
checking for ghttp_enable_ssl in -lghttp... no
configure: warning: ****** ghttp does not have SSL support.
checking for main in -lzvt... Unknown library `gtkhtml'
no
configure: error: libzvt development files not found. See config.log.

So, on to gnucash 1.7.8.  I saw that it was supposed to work with guile
1.6.x, so I decided I would test that out.  I compiled guile, and
compiled the g-wrap 1.3.4 from gnucash's ftp site.  The compile went
fine (with the same LDFLAGS environment variable as above) and when I
tried to run gnucash, I got the following:

Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
ERROR: Loaded gnucash srfi-8.scm in unknown Guile version:1.6.1.
If you're running a Guile newer than 1.4, then this file should
not have been installed.  Please report the bug.

When I reverted back to guile 1.4.1, gnucash 1.7.8 launches and runs.  I
haven't had a chance to do any more testing than that yet.  Like I said
earlier, there is a fair chance this is my screw up, but just in case I
thought I'd pass the info along.  Maybe I need to re-compile several
other peices of gnome after upgrading guile or something like that.
Sorry but I haven't stumbled into any docs that outlines the order that
all this stuff should be compiled.

One last note, I am not subscribed to this list and probably won't since
I have enough e-mails to deal with already, so if you want to flame me
for that breach of etiquette, you'll have to reply to my e-mail or I
won't see it.

Thanks for your time,

Stan