Gnucash 1.7.8 and guile 1.6.1

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 27 12:54:47 CST 2003

Hi,

Stan <stsander at earthlink.net> writes:

> I ran into an error message trying to run gnucash 1.7.8 after
> upgrading to guile 1.6.1.  I don't really expect any answers to this
> post, but I wanted to at least get it in front of a few folks in case
> it's a problem with gnucash, although there is a fair chance I just
> screwed things up.   Here are the pertinent highlights:

I'm not sure why you don't expect answers....

[snip]
> Prior to this, I had almost no gnome stuff on my machine.  I did,
> however, have to set the environment variable LDFLAGS to `pkg-config
> --libs gtkhtml-1.1`
[snip]

> checking for gtkhtml < 1.1... Unknown library `gtkhtml'
> Unknown library `gtkhtml'
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for gtkhtml >= 1.1... checking for gtk_html_new in
> -lgtkhtml-1.1... yes
> checking for ghttp_request_new in -lghttp... yes
> checking for ghttp_enable_ssl in -lghttp... no
> configure: warning: ****** ghttp does not have SSL support.
> checking for main in -lzvt... Unknown library `gtkhtml'
> no
> configure: error: libzvt development files not found. See config.log.

*grumble*

Ok, so it looks like gtkhtml can be found using either gnome-config
*OR* pkgconfig.  That's what the first couple lines in this are
saying.  The zvt test, however, assumes that you can use gnome-config
to acquire the gtkhtml libs, which in your case is obviously wrong.

I've fixed this in CVS, so the zvt test will use the (already
acquired) GTKHTML_LIBS.  Thanks for the report.

> So, on to gnucash 1.7.8.  I saw that it was supposed to work with
> guile 1.6.x, so I decided I would test that out.  I compiled guile,
> and compiled the g-wrap 1.3.4 from gnucash's ftp site.  The compile
> went fine (with the same LDFLAGS environment variable as above) and
> when I tried to run gnucash, I got the following:

Um, I'm not sure why g-wrap would need GtkHtml -- did you try
compiling 1.3.4 WITHOUT your LDFLAGS setting?  If so, how did it fail?

> Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
> variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
> program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
> this message.
> ERROR: Loaded gnucash srfi-8.scm in unknown Guile version:1.6.1.
> If you're running a Guile newer than 1.4, then this file should
> not have been installed.  Please report the bug.

Heh.

Question: did you reconfigure/rebuild/reinstall gnucash after
upgrading guile and rebuilding g-wrap?  It sounds like you either
failed to rebuild gnucash after changing guile, or left the old
gnucash install tree around.  See below...

> When I reverted back to guile 1.4.1, gnucash 1.7.8 launches and runs.
> I haven't had a chance to do any more testing than that yet.  Like I
> said earlier, there is a fair chance this is my screw up, but just in
> case I thought I'd pass the info along.  Maybe I need to re-compile
> several other peices of gnome after upgrading guile or something like
> that. Sorry but I haven't stumbled into any docs that outlines the
> order that all this stuff should be compiled.

Gnucash and g-wrap both depend on the version of guile with which it
was compiled.  Changing guile requires rebuilding and reconfiguring.
In the case of gnucash, it also requires clearing out the install
tree, because gnucash installs some "srfi" scheme libraries for guile
1.4 and 1.3, which conflict with guile-1.6...

So, if you change guile, you need to clean out and reinstall g-wrap
and gnucash, too.

> Thanks for your time,

Thanks for your report.