report display oddity

Reinke Bonte reinke.bonte at web.de
Wed Jan 29 10:47:03 CST 2003

My comments may not be very qualified, but anyway:

On 28 Jan 2003 09:40:04 -0500
Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Interesting...  If I set my LANG to en_GB.UTF8, I can reproduce this
> error.  I also get the following:

That reports do not show multibyte characters correctly has been
reported frequently on this list. You have always said that it is a
problem with gtkhtml.

> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

This, I believe, is completely unrelated. Xlib happens to have its own
set of locales, and it happens to have the uncommon locale en_GB.UTF8
not defined. I think en_US.UTF8 is defined so you could add an alias for
this to the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias

Then you shouldn't get this warning. I guess that Redhat has this alias
or the whole locale installed.

> Feel free to submit a bug report under UI-general (because this
> affects the currency symbol everywhere, not just in reports).

I think this is only a "reports" bug. I had always thought it has been
filed under #84604, but I just saw that #84604 is guppi related, and
ours not. If you want I will file a new bug report, I never could
display multi byte characters in reports.

> In the short term you can probably just sent the LANG in your .profile
> or .cshrc file.  In the longer term we should figure out why the UTF8
> lang causes this problem (note that it could be a bug in the locale
> specification -- or it could be a bug in handling the UTF8).

It is related to all encodings which use more than one byte to encode
one character.

Reinke

> -derek
>
> Alistair Hill <alistair.hill at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
> > If I do 'env' it tells me that LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, I guess that this
> > is set in a config by the redhat installation.  The only language I
> > have installed is GB English.
> >
> > I set the default currency in the GnuCash preferences!
> >
> > Which file holds the LANG variable? I did some hunting yesterday and
> > could not find it.
> >
> > Alistair
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 16:32, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > > Oh.. Uhh.. What LANG were you using before?  (How had you set
> > > the default currency to GBP?)
> > >
> > > FTR, I've got gtkhtml-1.0.2.
> > >
> > > -derek

> > --