report display oddity

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 29 00:17:39 CST 2003

Reinke Bonte <reinke.bonte at web.de> writes:

> Have you tried to create an alias, as I described earlier? Are you using
> a unicode font? As far as I know, there are two pound characters defined
> in unicode, one single-byte and one multi-byte pound character.
> en_GB.UTF8 seems to define the multi-byte character as currency symbol,
> so you need a font that can display this character.

no, I didn't try to create the alias.  It's quite possible a font
problem on my (admittedly US-centric) machine.  I _did_ see the pound
character but it was preceded by one or two garbage characters.  Not
surprisingly, they were the SAME garbage characters as in gtkhtml.

So, if it truly is a font/locale-alias issue, then this would imply
that gtkhtml is not localized properly.  If, as you say, the
multi-byte currency symbols work fine if the locale aliases are
present, then I find it strange/amusing that I'm getting the same
non-multibyte "display" with the un-aliased locale...