Gnucash MT940 file import

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Fri Jul 4 14:21:30 CDT 2003

On July 3, 2003 06:35 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > After that, I don't know the scope of the MT940 standard (couldn't find
> > any info in english or french about it).  With a little more info, I may
> > be able to guide you better.
>
> I know SWIFT MT940 from our HBCI work -- it's the data format in which the
> banks send us the transaction reports. We have (well, Martin Preuss has)
> therefore a MT940 parser in the LGPL library OpenHBCI,
> http://www.openhbci.de , parser in
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/openhbci/openhbci/src/openhb
>ci/core/swiftparser.cpp?rev=1.22&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> However, that code is in C++ and the results are of course stored in
> OpenHBCI's internal data structures.
>
> On the other hand OpenHBCI comes with a full C wrapper layer. You might be
> interested in the code in gnucash's
> src/import-export/hbci/gnc-hbci-gettrans.c, function trans_list_cb() --
> this is where the HBCI transaction report entries get converted into
> gnucash Transactions. If you don't have any MT940 parser currently at hand,
> it might be worth a try to extend OpenHBCI's swiftparser.cpp so that it
> also accepts a character buffer (that was read from a file) as data source,
> and can then be treated just as the existing import-export/hbci code
> already does.
>
> I'm one of the developers of OpenHBCI, so if you have any suggestions like
> that (which would a) increase our developer/ user base and b)improve our
> parser code) they might well be picked up quickly.

In that case Derek, I strongly urge you to go in that direction if at all
possible.  I strongly believe in separate libraries for this kind of thing,
and if the OpenHBCI folks already have a working parser that could be fairly
simply adapted, it would be a waste to duplicate our efforts in that area.

We can then simply add file selection and a menu entry in file/import-export
to gnucash's HBCI module.  We could also make a second module that also link
with OpenHBCI.  Either solution would work well.

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/