pthreads in guid.c break compile

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jul 10 19:42:40 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 06:56:29PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> It's thread-safe, but not stack-safe.  the buffer is only on the stack

Yes, that is correct.  I was going to mention that but then I didn't.

I think I garbled my english language in that last note.  What I wanted
to say was something more like the following:

"Don't use guid_to_string() in any new code. In fact, don't use
it anywhere, expect in printf's, as a debugging-utility convenience
routine."   That makes the stack-safeness issue go away.

> This is equivalent of the following (broken) code:

Actually, the example you give is valid C,  although I don't have my
handy-dandy standards specification handy enough to quote paragraph and
section.   Entering/exiting a block does not grow or shrink the stack,
and block-local variables are not put in a portion of the stack that is
shared with other blocks, and so wouldn't be clobbered.    Hmmm.
Now I wonder if the spec actually does deal with this ...

--linas