pthreads in guid.c break compile

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 10 20:55:12 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> > This is equivalent of the following (broken) code:
>
> Actually, the example you give is valid C,  although I don't have my
> handy-dandy standards specification handy enough to quote paragraph and
> section.   Entering/exiting a block does not grow or shrink the stack,
> and block-local variables are not put in a portion of the stack that is
> shared with other blocks, and so wouldn't be clobbered.    Hmmm.
> Now I wonder if the spec actually does deal with this ...

By broken I didn't mean that the C wasn't valid, but that pointers
would become invalid.  However, you are right, now that you mention
it.  All local variable storage space is stored on the stack at the
top of the function... So yea, your code should work (even if it's
ugly ;)

Sorry..  It's been a long day.