stock thoughts

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Jul 30 09:42:24 CDT 2003

I was running through the process of buying and selling stocks, and a
few thoughts occurred to me.

Assume you use the "stock" account type, and follow the proceedure to
build a stock commodity, set the price in the price editor, etc.  When
you sell the stock, for a profit, how does this income get accounted
for?  Is the stock account itself a pseudo-income account?

It seems to me that stocks could be tracked in GC the same way we handle
Fixed Assets, starting with a regular asset account.  Then, upon selling
the stock, you would record an income transaction into the stock asset
account, then record a transaction from the stock asset account to your
bank account.

Just thinking out loud.  Any thoughts out there on this?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil