stock thoughts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 30 12:14:53 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> I was running through the process of buying and selling stocks, and a
> few thoughts occurred to me.
>
> Assume you use the "stock" account type, and follow the proceedure to
> build a stock commodity, set the price in the price editor, etc.  When
> you sell the stock, for a profit, how does this income get accounted
> for?  Is the stock account itself a pseudo-income account?

This is a bug.  This is what Lots are supposed to solve.  It has not
been finished.

What you need to do is create a split txn that balances out the profit
based on the cost of the stock and then link that split txn into a
cap-gains income account.

> It seems to me that stocks could be tracked in GC the same way we
> handle Fixed Assets, starting with a regular asset account.  Then,
> upon selling the stock, you would record an income transaction into
> the stock asset account, then record a transaction from the stock
> asset account to your bank account.

Something like this could theoretically work, but it's nice to see
both the #shares and price simultaneously.