TIMESTAMP problem in GnuCash Postgresql backend

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jul 31 21:46:53 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:52:10PM -0500, Matthew Vanecek was heard to remark:
> The problem for me is what to do with people that already actively use
> the Postgresql backend (if any).  There should be an upgrade path to
> change existing TIMESTAMP to the "TIME ZONE" format.  This is not a
> trivial operation, but I *can* do it, by renaming the existing column,
> adding a new column with the original name, moving the data to the new
> column, and dropping the original column.

Just in case you haven't seen it, gnucash does have an uatomated
upgrade mechanism.  See upgrade.c, there should be several examples
in there of adding/dropping columns.  Acutally, it should be pretty
easy.

> Do y'all think that we should worry about that?  As far as I can tell,
> the data is stored properly in the database in all cases--it appears
> that it is just the presentation that is messed up. Opinions?

I'm not too concerned, except that the the gmt vs not gmt thing
should be clarified & fixed.

I figure that with multiple users, different users might be in
different timezones, so each user should see times in thier own
local timezone.

--linas