First stab at gnucash-docs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 13 13:04:17 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> Okay, I lied.  I started with "chapter 1: installation" in the
> tutorial (since it only contained the word "FIXME").  Before I get too
> far into this, I thought I would send this out to see if people have
> any comments since this is my first attempt.
>
> I've attached the chapter1.xml file... but I'll also just paste the
> appropriate text here, it is easy enough to envision what it looks
> like from the XML code.  I have a few specific questions.
>
> 1) Are we encouraging or discouraging URL links to external sites in
> the documentation?  I noticed there was a link to the gnucash.org site
> in chapter2...

I think it depends on the "external site".  I think it's ok to link to
gnucash.org.  I dont think we should link to other sites.

> 2) Can someone send me the information on how to install GnuCash on a
> Debian-esque system?  (ie: apt, .deb, etc)

"apt-get install gnucash"

> 3) Besides linux, what other systems do we support?  I'm guessing at
> least *BSD, so does anyone know how to install GnuCash using the *BSD
> ports system?

What's your definition of "support"?  If you mean "it's been
successfully built on..." you can include MacOS-X, Solaris, and IRIX
to the list.

[xml snipped]