Record a sale of stock

Fabien COELHO fabien at coelho.net
Mon Jun 16 11:26:38 CDT 2003

> You need to record two transactions in one; one that records the sale,
> and one that records the gain/loss.  However it is possible that this
> doesn't work very well.

Sure.

> Daniel Hannum <dhannum at magicdan.net> writes:
>
> > Is there any truly correct way to record a security sale as Gnucash is
> > now? It seems that "stock" accounts are essentially useless, and I
> > doubt that, given that it is widely used

Stock accounts are not useless, they keep track of the number of
commodities you have... However they can't get profit/losses correctly
at the time...

You can use a "Asset account" instead, which will keep the value
of stocks. However, you will have to do all the management by hand,
you won't have an evaluation of your assets automatically by entering
the commodity price.

Something like :

buy 10 shares at 10 EUR                    +100 EUR
         from bank-account                 -100 EUR

sell 10 shares at 12 EUR                   -100 EUR
     to bank-account                       +120 EUR
     to income                              -20 EUR [yes, it is an income]

I would rather advise to use stock accounts, and to keep track manually of
profit/losses on commodity transactions, and to wait for the lot
management... but it may be more or less easy to do so.

--
Fabien COELHO   _____   fabien at coelho.net   _____   http://www.coelho.net