Menu item "Gtk-CRITICAL" messages

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jun 2 23:19:05 CDT 2003

On Samstag, 31. Mai 2003 15:20, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Question #1:  I think there must be another library besides libgnome and
> libgnomeui that we have to worry about.  Why?  Because, when I run
> "LANG=pt_BR gnucash" the "_View" menu appears as "_Visualizar".
> However, it is translated in both my gnucash po file and libgnomeui as
> "_Ver" (it doesn't exist in libgnome).  Where is it coming from?

The only library that I could still think of is glade,
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/glade/po/ (there is a module named glade3 in
CVS as well and I have no idea which one is the current one)

> Question #2: Is there a simple way to simply re-install a language file
> after making a modification to a po file?  Or, do we have to go through
> the whole "make install" process after a minor language translation
> modification?

You can call "make install" *inside* the po/ directory.

> Question #3: What *version* of the libgnome and libgnomeui libraries
> should we be looking into?  I guess it must be the version that exists
> on the system under which gnucash is being run.  So, in my case, for
> RedHat v9, that mean I should use v2.2 of libgnome and libgnomeui.  What
> if these library file translations changed somewhat in v2.3?  Or v2.1?

If the translations in the library files change, then we're screwed. Nothing
else. That's what the "GNOME language teams" are for -- they should agree on
*one* translation, and then *stick* to it. And if anyone inside there wants
to change a translation, they better have some darn good reason to do so.
Feel free to seriously flame your language team if they change a translation
without a pressing need to do so ;-)

Your step-by-step description is very helpful. Should this go into a specific
file in CVS? I think this would help others quite nicely.

Christian