"techdocs" idea

plussier at mindspring.com plussier at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 16 17:05:14 CDT 2003

In a message dated: 16 Jun 2003 15:48:13 EDT
Derek Atkins said:

>It's not a question of "at the website" -- it's a question of "in the
>source tree".  As I'm working (offline!) I want access to the necessary
>developer docs at my fingertips.

I understand that, and that's exactly my point.  If people want to
access these docs via the web site, just create links to the ascii
docs in the source tree.  Maintain them there, *as ascii*.  People
who just want to look at them on the web, without checking out the
entire CVS tree can.  Those who check out the CVS tree have them in
ascii.

>I dont think we need to put "books.txt" or "on periods" onto the web.
>I dont think we need "README.cvs" on the web, either.  Arguably
>the README file might be useful on the web, but I see no reason it
>needs to be pretty-ified into HTML.

I'm not advocating prettying them into HTML, I'm suggesting creating
a link directly to the ascii doc itself.  No HTML anywhere.

When the CVS base gets updated, so should this, since these are
nothing more than links into the CVS tree.
--

Seeya,
Paul