"techdocs" idea

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 16 16:48:13 CDT 2003

plussier at mindspring.com writes:

>   Jon> Why not keep a "techdocs" directory in gnucash-docs in which
>   Jon> these types of things are maintained in xml format.

>   Derek> I do have objections on xml -> txt for the source tree.
>
> Why not just link to the ascii tech docs for developers directly from
> the website?  Subversion does this, and it's an easily attainable

It's not a question of "at the website" -- it's a question of "in the
source tree".  As I'm working (offline!) I want access to the necessary
developer docs at my fingertips.

> 'best-of-both-worlds'.  The docs are now easily accessible via the
> web, and in still in the code base.  Those who want to check out the
> source from CVS can do so, and those who want to read the docs in a
> browser can.

I dont think we need to put "books.txt" or "on periods" onto the web.
I dont think we need "README.cvs" on the web, either.  Arguably
the README file might be useful on the web, but I see no reason it
needs to be pretty-ified into HTML.