"techdocs" idea

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Mon Jun 16 22:16:29 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 08:31, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Why not keep a "techdocs" directory in gnucash-docs in which these
> > types of things are maintained in xml format.  Then, occasionally, we
> > can press HTML versions for the web site, and text versions to place
> > in the various locations of the source code (such as docs/).  Building
> > these things do not need to be a part of the build process, so nothing
> > complex to setup.  These documents should not (I think) be available
> > in the gnucash help system, they are there just for the convienience
> > of the developers.
> >
> > What do you think?  Stupid idea?
>
> I have no objection with the xml -> html for the web site, but I
> do have objections on xml -> txt for the source tree.
> I do agree that "user servicible" docs should live in xml format in
> gnucash-docs and be pushed out.  But the majority of documentation in
> txt files in the source tree is NOT user servicable (except, perhaps,
> the README -- but again I don't want to create this backwards
> dependency).

I have to agree with Derek, developer docs should be separated from user
docs. I have no objection to keeping some of the user contributed
website pages in the gnucash-docs module. I expect this would make it
easier for Linas to convert them to html for the website. However, I
think it should be Linas that says what format he wants website pages in
so its easiest for him to add them to the website as he updates bits and
pieces.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit
	| / __> |  cause we are Metallica