[g2port] compiles, fails on startup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 17 11:08:29 CDT 2003

sams at marketing-designs.com writes:

> I have successfully gotten gnucash compiled and installed with
> absolutely no gtk-1/glib-1 libraries/headers.  Here is what I had to do
> (Keep in mind this is LFS, so your packages might differ)
> download guile-1.6.4, compile, install
> download slib, install in $GUILE_PREFIX/share/guile/slib
> download g-wrap, attempt to compile, but it doesn't find glib-2.0.  So I
> had to do some crazy autofoo action to get it working (my solution was
> just a hack, I am sure anyone who knows autoconf could get it working
> correctly), install.  (make sure $GNOME_PREFIX/lib/libgwrap-glib.so
> exists)

Yea, we're going to have to do something about this, aren't we?
I wonder if RLB is still reading this list?

> download libgnome-http-1.0.9, compile, install (needed for gnucash)

I presume this is GtkHTML?

> download cvs gnucash, change aclocal to aclocal-1.4 and automake to
> automake-1.4 in macros/autogen.sh., compile, install

are you sure you pulled down the gnucash-gnome2-dev branch from CVS?
There should be no reason to specify aclocal-1.4 or automake-1.4;
the code should work with all 1.x x=4,5,6,7.

> After all that work I get a screen that looks like it is going to come
> up!  Yay, almost.  I get this backtrace.  Shall I submit a bug?

Nope.  The g2 port is not considered far enough along to warrant
bugs in the database.  Log into #gnucash on IRC and talk to TomF and
jpetersen and help them.

> -------
> Backtrace:
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 0* [gnc:hook-run-danglers #]
> In /home/samuel/gnucash/share/gnucash/scm/hooks.scm:
>   50: 1* [for-each #<procedure #f #> #]
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 2  (if (null? rest) (letrec ((lp #)) (lp list1)) ...)
>    ?: 3  (begin (f (car l)) (lp (cdr l)))
>    ?: 4* [#<procedure #f (dangler)> #<procedure
> gnc:tip-of-the-day-startup-func ()>]
> In /home/samuel/gnucash/share/gnucash/scm/hooks.scm:
>   54: 5  [apply #<procedure gnc:tip-of-the-day-startup-func ()> ()]
> In /home/samuel/gnucash/share/gnucash/scm/tip-of-the-day.scm:
>   90: 6  (gnc:totd-dialog-create-and-run)
>
> /home/samuel/gnucash/share/gnucash/scm/tip-of-the-day.scm:90:9: In
> expression (gnc:totd-dialog-create-and-run):
> /home/samuel/gnucash/share/gnucash/scm/tip-of-the-day.scm:90:9: Unbound
> variable: gnc:totd-dialog-create-and-run

This sounds like either g-wrap isn't working right, or the Tip of the
Day Dialog hasn't been ported.