exiting from gnome

Stan Pinte alto_stan at wanadoo.be
Mon Mar 10 17:34:48 CST 2003

On 10 Mar 2003 11:24:38 -0500, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> lmb <lars at marowsky-bree.de> writes:
>
>> gnucash _really_ needs an "save on exit" functionality, I think. (I
>> can't do
>> it, my scheme sucks) Unix programs have been doing it for ages on
>> receiving a
>> SIGHUP.
>
> Gnucash does try to save on exit if you exit cleanly.   At least it
> asks you if you want to save or not.  IMHO this is "good enough".
> Once you exit gnome, or kill X, or shutdown your computer, or unplug
> the power, it's out of our control.  At some point you can't handle
> all the stupid things that users do.  I think we do a pretty good job
> of protecting stupid users from themselves, but frankly it can only
> go so far.

My opinion is that if user want to have that level of reliability (support
a crash without losing txns) then they must choose the db backend. I think
it is outside the core focus of the GNUcash developers to develop a journal
of last transactions, which can be replayed at next startup, to recover
lost transactions.