How modular is GNUCash?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 15 19:05:30 CST 2003

Toan T Nguyen <ntt at uchicago.edu> writes:

> Hi,
> No offense to GNOME users but I really fond of the elegant KDE desktop and
> would like to see (or do) a port of gnucash to KDE.Of course, before engaging
> in such a huge project, I would like to know if it's feasible. Can gnucash
> developers give me some opinions on this?

It should be feasible, but it will be a LOT of work.  GnuCash has a
bunch of custom widgets in the UI, and you'd have to re-write a lot of
it.  Also, I suspect that some developers might have been a bit lazy
in terms of separating out Gnome-UI from non-UI portions of the code.

I would estimate at least one man-year of work to implement a KDE
front end, but that probably depends on how good you are.  There is
already someone who is trying to work on a port to KDE -- hopefully
he will speak up.

-derek