How modular is GNUCash?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 17 00:25:21 CST 2003

Fred <fmalabre at yahoo.com> writes:

> I would love to see a) happens.
>
> Would someone be interested in working on the RPC front-end for the Gnucash
> engine?

Well, I think that you will find that once you get all the work for
the UI done, the rest of GnuCash just "falls out".  In other words,
you are not saving yourself any KDE porting effort by focusing on an
"RPC Frontend".  The reason I say this is that the work required to
build an "RPC Frontend" is exactly the same amount of work required to
build a full KDE GnuCash -- it's the exact same amount of KDE
programming work.

So you're not saving yourself any trouble by trying to go this route,
and in fact you're making it more difficult because you also need
to get the RPC Backend working again....

The engine and various Backends are UI agnostic and already work.
You will need to write the UI regardless of whether you're using
the RPC or any other interface.   It's still going to be a lot of
work.

-derek