Payroll

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed May 14 12:09:09 CDT 2003

Nigel Titley wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 14:21, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>If tracking the expenses is all you need, then GnuCash should be
>>perfectly sufficient.  If you're looking for a system that can compute
>>payroll witholdings and print your employee checks, that's not yet in
>>there (and currently has no "champion developer" to make it happen).
>
> And furthermore, given the wide range of usage of gnucash, and the wide
> range of tax regimes in the world, any such system would have severely
> limited usage. Hence the lack of any champion developer I suspect.

Would it be valuable to have some sort of document which states what
would be necessary for a payroll tax function to be useful to everyone?

Maybe we could break it down by countries, ie: in the US you need to
have FICA withholding and income tax withholding which are both
calculated as a percentage of your gross salary, etc, etc.

In this way, the corner cases would be (at least) seen.

What I mean is, for example, here in Brazil we have something called a
"13th salary".  Once per year (usually in December) everyone receives an
extra monthly salary.  The taxes on this extra money are different than
on the other 12 salaries you receive.  So, if someone were to work on
this feature, it would need to deal with things like that.

Another wrinkle, is that payroll expenses in Brazil include the employee
salary (from which taxes are taken out), *and* taxes the company pays to
the government on that employee.  So, for example, if my monthly salary
is 100, I will receive a check for 80 (20 paid to the various taxes I
must pay) and the company will also have to cut a check for another 50.
  This "extra" tax does not involve the employee, it is between the
company and the government.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil